5.13.2013

on being a mother


i never had any real career aspirations. sure, there were things i enjoyed doing but i thought of them more as hobbies. college was hard for me because i was never working towards anything i was excited about. i always thought, if i figure out what i really want to do, i can get through this school thing. but none of the possibilites seemed like more than just a way to get by and make money so i could stop working someday. 

i didn't grow up imagining my perfect wedding or the house i would live in. having children was the only consistent dream i had for my future. i was always excited to have my own family. i couldn't wait to be a mom, but i thought there was something wrong with that. i thought i should want more for myself. 

now that i have these two, i know being a mom is enough for me. i feel at peace. this is my purpose. i'm where i'm supposed to be. sure, some days are rough and redundant, but the moments of joy make those excruciating times worth it. my children are my passion and anything else i do will be just a side gig.

3 comments:

  1. i can relate! i love you! you're a good mom! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is beatiful and more than enough. i can think of no higher aspiration, cousin. I love you and am so proud of the woman you have become. you have gorgeous children and if you see a smile on their face every day, you are doing a marvelous job.

    I pray that you won't abandon your faith in Christ, though. God will provide you with a firm foundation and a compass for your life. children are only on loan to us - they belong to God. we can't let it be "all" of us. I continue to remind myself that Emma and Jonah are only "mine" for a season. take care of yourself, too, and continue to dream and pursue your interests.

    I wish you lived closed so I could smooch those adorable babies of yours!

    Love the Blog! Love, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't given up on my own goals and dreams. i was referring more to having some kind of career. who knows, maybe i will find something i love that makes money, but i don't feel this pressure to find something meaningful (again career-wise) now that defines me or greatly enriches my life. love you cousin! hopefully see you in september!

    ReplyDelete